Every parent should be concerned with their child’s oral health. Tooth decay in Palm Harbor, FL, can cause more problems with your child’s oral health as they grow. Fortunately, parents can help their kids keep a beautiful smile with proper dental care. Our dentists can teach your children to brush and floss, but it’s up to you to make sure your child maintains their progress at home. Win the battle over tooth decay with these steps.
Steps to Take to Defeat Tooth Decay
Tooth decay happens when the tooth is exposed to acid. One way you can see if minerals in the tooth are being lost is if you see white spots on your child’s teeth. The enamel can still be repaired at this point, but you do need to take steps to do so. If you don’t maintain your child’s healthy mouth, it will lead to a cavity. Saliva and fluoride are two of the factors which help teeth repair themselves.
- Use fluoride. Brush with toothpaste that includes fluoride. If your city doesn’t fluorinate the water system, discuss this with your dentist.
- Watch what your child eats. Limit sugary drinks, including fruit juice and sugary snacks. Sugar and starches create acids that attack the teeth and cause tooth decay.
- Keep an eye on how often your child eats. The teeth need time between acid attacks to repair themselves.
- Make sure children brush and floss correctly.
- Don’t eat anything after the evening brushing. Saliva production is decreased at night, which means your teeth aren’t as protected against the acid from the food.
Schedule Regular Dental Care for Your Child
Call our office at (727) 228-8000 to make an appointment with one of our dentists. We treat tooth decay in Palm Harbor, FL, by helping your kids enjoy good oral health.